12 July, 2010

So It's Monday!

The weekend is over and probably still somewhat of a haze. Here's to hoping you enjoyed it! As for me, this weekend I was given an incredible opportunity to speak with several of the countries finest derby girls. Some were gracious enough to give me some feedback and insight into how they view themselves as female athletes. I would like to begin this week by highlighting one of these awesome women.

Yesterday I was able to catch up with the phenomenal Dementia of the Kansas City Roller Warriors at a photo shoot for the All-Star team. She has no doubt been a dominating presence on the national derby scene and currently is a force to be reckoned with on her KCRW home team "The Knockouts" as well as the Warriors All-Stars. When I caught up with her at the shoot, she certainly proved that she can work a camera lens over as well as any opponent. Dementia has the charisma that is characteristic of almost every derby girl I have met. With her long dark hair she would almost remind you of a young Joan Jett on skates. She let me know that this was her first season in KC, she was previously of the Houston roller girls, And her number is D13. The rest of the conversation went like this:


How long have you been playing roller derby?

D13: Since 2005 so about 5 and 1/2 years

What is your favorite position to play?

D13: I started off as a jammer in Houston and now i play pivot. I guess i love all positions equally. Pivot is my new favorite though i guess.

Any Secret talents that the rest of us don't know about?

D13: Not really. Although I can make my stomach growl on command.

How many times a week do you exercise?

D13: Usually 4-5 times per week

Any favorite things you do to workout?

D13: I really like to work my core the most. I feel that this is so important. I typically do some Iso-metric lifts and dance around a lot.

What are the top 5 songs in your workout playlist?

D13: "Ima Be" by The Black Eyed Peas, " I've Got the Power" by Snap!," Get Into the Groove" by Madonna," What It Feels Like For a Girl" by Madonna, and " Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas

Favorite inspirational movie?

D13: "Love Actually". I like " Dirty Dancing", "Death Proof" and " The Breakfast Club" too!

Any injuries?

D13: I tore my ACL kickboxing

At what moment did you realize that you were officially a Derby Girl?

D13: I think it was a Dust Devil 2006with the Houston All-Stars. It was my first national tournament and i remember skating with the girls, girls from Austin and Kansas City, and just being like , these are my "sheros"! That's when i knew i was a roller girl. I am an adrenaline junkie anyway, but i love this sport and these women so much!!!


Dementia, I would like to offer you my sincere thanks for your time and wish you the best of luck throughout the rest of your season. It was truly a pleasure to talk with you!

Now back to the business of kicking our own asses!!!! Here is your workout for today and it is centered a lot around your core and flexibility.


5 min. warm up
Stretch
3x 10 standing straight arm twists
3x 20 ball squats with weights
3x 10 dive bomb push-ups
15 lunges each leg
4 x 30sec. planks
2x 25 ball crunches
2x 25 bicycle crunches
2x 25 hip ups
2x 25 back extensions
5 min. cool down
stretch

Enjoy!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment