15 March, 2011

Go Anyway

10 min. warm up
Stretch
4x 6 burpee push ups
4x 6 tuck jumps for height
4x 6 inverted row
4x 6 squat to overhead press
4x 100 jump ropes
2x 15 jackknifes
2x 25 neg. crunches
5 min cool down
Stretch

1-1-1 tempo, no rest if possible( when you begin to get nauseous, light headed, have ringing ears, or blurred vision, STOP. this means you have pushed to the limit and need to slow down). This workout is a little unique in it's intensity. Your heart rate will be through the roof and that is what we are going for. This one is designed to build performance more than anything else.

Every now and then we are all faced with fears, bigger than usual ones. How we face them, I believe, is what will determine our outcomes. There is a reason that a quality such as courage is held in such high esteem. We place value on it because it is very uncommon and difficult to continue in. The rewards of courage though are vast. Let me say here that any action with courage behind it will always result in victory. Sounds crazy knowing that there are many times we can meet obstacles with courage and still come up short, being trounced by whatever foe we meant to overcome. Is this not still a victory? I say it is. There is more to life than the score on the scoreboard at the end of a game. I have not always felt this way, having been born a fierce competitor and approaching every situation with a do or die mentality. I was fighting my way through life before i learned to walk, most times at someone elses expense. I was not (and truthfully still am not) a graceful loser. This always seemed appropriate as I rationalized that if I hated losing enough I would not have to drink from it's bitter cup. That, and the fact that nothing else I have ever done involved grace either. Last night I got a chance to see some old teammates and was reminded all to clearly of the former statements. I can't believe that I am about to write this but here it goes. I was wrong! Victories can be attained in losing if you have the ability to meet challenges with courage and grow through it. This does not mean that I am promoting losing or diminishing striving toward winning. I am merely saying that standing up in the face of your own fears and insecurities and taking action in spite of them will always leave you with an internal victory, no matter what the outcome. One last thing to wrap up. Acting in the face of your fears with courage continually has a way of moving the seemingly impossible obstacles out of your way and letting you accomplish more than you could have imagined. I don't know how this works only that it does. Today, go for it, whatever it may be!

Enjoy!

J

3 comments:

  1. Incredible that I would read this today of all days. I'm trying to beat down fears for boot camp practice tonight.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. Sometimes we stumble right in to what we need. Serendipity I guess. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your adventure as well!!

    ReplyDelete