08 February, 2012

Cunning

Of the thoughts that I have been swimming in over the past week one word keeps coming to the forefront: Cunning. By definition, it means to be dextrous or crafty with the use of resources in attaining an end. If I had to guess as too my current obsession with this word, it would probably be because I appear to be lacking my sense of cunning right now. If you'll indulge me I am just going to break down my thoughts for a bit. Things are intense, but that is nothing new. Dancing on a razors edge between chaos and control is what we were made for. The skills that are inherent to us may dull from time to time but will come right back to a shining hone with just a little well placed effort and a righting of our heads. The most important part of cunning is a clear objective; an end or desired result in mind. So what are we really after? This is the first, and probably the most important question to answer. Everything else is based on this so make sure you are clear. Then for the planning. Simple is usually best, flexible enough and easy to execute. Lastly, take action and take it swiftly.

What am I trying to say here? If and when you don't feel at the top of your game or you are finding yourself getting out maneuvered by others politics, get fucking resourceful or get out of the way. Roller derby is a sport after all (even though it is fun like a hobby) and should be respected as such. Step one of reaching a proper peak performance on time is developing your cunning before you need it. Now go to work.

J

5 min warm up
Stretch
4x 8 push ups with rotation
4x 8 overhead presses
4x 8 inverted rows
4x 8 jump squats
2x 20 quadruped
2x 25 neg crunches
5 min cool down
Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment