25 September, 2010

It's Funny How Life Turns Out

So I am constantly posed the question of how I got involved with roller derby. The truth is I have absolutely no idea. All I can say with any certainty is that I'm very glad I did. I need to be honest though, there are certainly times that I can't stand derby as well. I'm sure that most of you can identify with this feeling. Even in times that I feel like this derby is there(unless it is the off-season). I have a theory about this. I think that roller derby, as a sport, is about as exciting as curling. Before I am strung up for blasphemy, hear me out. If you sit down and look at roller derby from face value, the concept is far beyond strange. While there is strategy, it is more checkers than chess. My personal theory is that this sport would be absolutely mundane and vanilla if it weren't for the women that give it life. This is where roller derby begins to transcend many of the other sports that are played in front of an audience. Roller girls have personality, true character, and they invite the rest of us into there world for a long enough amount of time that we are able to forget alot of the things that hold us back as people. It seems that on the track most women are able to let their personality shine through in a way that they are not able to in their normal day to day. This is what we love you for! That and the amazing hits that are delivered. That said, let's get to working!

5 min. warm up
Stretch
4x 100 meter long stride sprints
4x 25 meter karaoke step
2x 25 meter slow side step squats
8x 400 meters @ 120 sec(2 min.) pace
10 min. cool down
Stretch

Enjoy!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment