25 October, 2010

Fight!

Every so often our worlds are reduced to only the most basic of necessity. Personally I have always been a bit of a minimalist. You can see evidence of this in a lot of my approach to fitness specifically in that I see no need for everyone to have a gym membership in order to be entitled to being in good shape. All of that aside though, the real question here is what do you do when life is kicking your ass? I'm not suggesting that we should take much time to complain about this or stay mad at our dads or anything of the sort. It is simply the truth that sometimes you just take a few tough shots and are slower getting up than normal. Derby girls know this better than most! I don't want to get too philosophical here or anything but let me share this. Recently I have run through some interesting situations. I am thankful for great friends and family but sometimes they just can't help. They can certainly offer tons of cliches that mean very little in practical application such as "You win some, you lose some" and "You'll have good days and bad days" and my personal favorite "Let go and let God". While there may be some wisdom in these statements and I am sure they come from caring, well intentioned people, for the most part they leave something to be desired. My new found realization is this: Good times and bad times seldom care enough for each other or for those they are affecting to wait in line. Most of our days will be a mixture of both great highs and devastating lows. That said, what are we to do with this theory? I suggest you fight and fight well. This is not a call to the militant or an uprising against peace. It is rather a call to fight to gain ground in the best of situations and to fight to hold fast in the worst. Take the time to fight your way through your day and make sure your fight is just. The only other thing I can offer is that when looking at a fight like the ones I am discussing, it is seldom worthwhile to fight a particular individual. More often you will find your battle is with yourself and if you beat yourself to badly than you have lost anyway. I know this because I am Irish and fighting is in my blood. The Irish have fought for years against everyone and mostly just beaten themselves. This week let's fight for more good in our days and a better shot at showing the rest of the world why derby girls are a force to be reckoned with! Now let's go to work!

5 min. warm up
Stretch
3x 25 meters lunges
3x 10push ups
3x 10 overhead presses
3x 10 speed skater jumps
50 meters karaoke(grapevine)
4x 30 sec. planks
2x 10 hip ups
25 bicycle crunches(each side)
2x 10 side crunches (each side)
5 min. cooldown
Stretch

Enjoy!

J

P.S. By the way, If you are just starting out most of the workouts will be completable for any fitness level. If there are any questions feel free to ask and I will try to stay on top of answering them! Thanks !

No comments:

Post a Comment