27 October, 2010

Theres No Higher Ground To Stand Than The Bottom Of The Pile

This is a nasty time in general with an upcoming election. For the record, I will not be discussing politics today or more than likely ever here. Standing in the gym that I train out of it has become hard to miss the backbiting jabs that are broadcast by candidates against there opponents. The sad part is that often they don't even accept responsibility for running the ad speaking poorly against their foe. It is times like this that I am reminded of why the derby community has both fascinated and confused me for so long. There is no doubt in my mind that in every bout I have seen both teams were in it to win it. I am sure that if you look hard enough you can find an ugly side to each competition but thus far I have not seen this nearly to the extent that I expected. After having been an athlete I am all too aware of the horrible things that can sometimes come from to individuals competing for a single position or victory. There were situations where I have seen intentional maiming of fellow teammates for a starting position. Then I began spending time around the roller girls. It was much to my surprise to find members of opposing teams, even opposing leagues, sharing meals, homes, and trade secrets. This still blows my mind. It has been my experience that most leagues are very open to allowing skaters from across the country to join them if they happen to be in town. My point is that in a world that shows evidence of no decency or honor left in competition I am elated to have discovered the island of refuge that derby has become for so many. Are you perfect? No. You do a really good job of accepting that and moving on though not to mention the respect that you generally show everyone else. Keep up the great work!!!

5 min warm up
Stretch
3x 10 straight arm twists (each side)
3x 10 wood chops
3x 10 floor bridge
3x 10 quadruped
3x 10 V sit twist
3x 10 jackknife crunch
4x 30 sec. plank
5 min cool down
Stretch

Enjoy!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment