17 January, 2011

Pop Culture

I couldn't help but notice while watching football today that CSI Miami was advertising their latest episode, one that highlighted roller derby. I was excited to see the press coverage for a sport that we have all come to love in our own way. The part that blew my mind was that literally within a minute of the commercial being shown I received multiple text messages from both coasts and a few other spots across the country asking when the actual season started and where they could catch a game. This is becoming more and more widely accepted and followed on an international scene as well. I wonder if the first women to take the track thought that this would be the results? I have to admit that I myself was reminded of why I love derby this past weekend as practice was beginning Saturday morning. My favorite part of this sport is the women that play it. I say women because I believe that it is a sport best played by women and should remain that way(this is simply my opinion, however I feel that men have dominated the commercial sports world in so many other areas that women should continue to have roller derby remain their own). When I first heard of the sport and was becoming involved with developing a strength and conditioning program for it, I expected to deal exclusively with a surly group of bikers and tattoo artists, maybe a few ex punk rockers, and certainly heavily intoxicated humans that functioned just well enough to knock one another out. What I found was a bigger shock than any of that could have been. Certainly my stereotype existed in the community but it was not the overwhelming majority. I met accountants, graphic artists, chocolatiers, students, teachers, mothers, wives, dog groomers, and just about every other occupation imaginable. The one thing they all had in common was their desire to skate, to compete, to use roller derby as their outlet of expression to showcase their strong and individual personality. All I can say is keep it up ladies and we will continue to support you! Here is your workout!

5 min warm up
Stretch
45 min of moderate cardio
4x 30 sec. planks(even if you have to take a break, get a total of 2 min done)
2x 10 jackknifes
5 min cooldown
Stretch

Enjoy!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment