23 February, 2011

Might As Well Jump

5 min warm up
Stretch
3x 8 push ups
3x 10 single arm chest presses
3x 8 lateral raises
3x 10 overhead presses
3x 8 single arm rows
3x10 back flys
3x8 single leg squats
3x 10 lunges (each leg)
2x plank to failure
5 min cool down
Stretch

Tempo is 2-0-2, 30 sec. rest between sets

Fear! That word alone paints a picture. This is a word, a thing if you will, that we all are exposed to everyday whether we want to admit it or not (and I'd rather not). There is a difference, I believe, between experiencing fear and being afraid. This is not just an argument of semantics. Churchill, in a speech he gave to students at his alma mater, said"Do not let us speak of darker days; let us speak rather of sterner days. These are not dark days: these are great days - the greatest days our country has ever lived." I think Churchill was right on in his assessment in this statement. Recently I have been finding difficulty in staying focused on the things that I need to be doing to progress to the next level. For me this is a combination of many things, but one prevailing theme seems to be the fear of leaving my comfort zone. I use the term "comfort" loosely, many days seem to be much more misery than comfort. Let me give you an example. I hate running. I have a body that was perfectly built to run mid to long distance though. Running also helps clear my head, improve my fitness and keeps me more disciplined in other areas of life. The problem is trying to take the first step. I have had some injuries and running is uncomfortable, specifically trying to break my body back in.

That is the thing about fear. It always gives you the illusion of something being a lot worse than it actually is. When fear hits us, as humans we go straight to a fight or flight mentality. Rather than fight or flight, I prefer to think of this as a jump or run reaction. If we are actually going to overcome our fears and achieve our goals, no matter what they may be, We have to be willing to jump into the deep end and do our best. Our only other option is to run and I already know I hate running. In the words of Van Halen, "Might as well jump!" I'm just saying.

Enjoy,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment