30 May, 2011

Continuity

I have take the past few days and spent some time considering what really goes into the make up of a good workout, specifically for athletes like roller girls. One thing that stood out to me is the idea that while training for athletics is a process, most athletes don't approach it that way. Admittedly I am guilty of this as well in some cases but when I am at my most effective I am working within a process for sure. By process I mean a progression of exercise, one that moves from easy to difficult, stable to unstable. The difficulty is that many of the popular workouts (specifically crossfit) do not have programs that are designed this way. They, rather, use buzz words like "high intensity training" and "max VO2 output" that sound fancy and make us think that they are really good for us. What these types of workouts don't take into mind is progression ( or the fact that we may need our joints in the future. I'm just saying.) I was talking to a new client of mine this weekend when she told me that she does workouts that make her hurt. That is how she measures whether a workout is effective or not. While there is about a 10% validity to this mentality, it is an incomplete way to judge a fitness regimen. When examining a routine that you will follow make sure that it allows you to progress and is designed to get you where you are going, not just put you in pain because someone told you some bullshit about how pain is weakness leaving the body. That only applies to marines. For the rest of us pain is a warning that we may be harming ourselves. That said...lets get to work!

5 min warm up
Stretch
4-2-1 tempo
2x 20 push ups
2x 20 squats to overhead presses
2x 20 inverted rows
2x 20 step ups ( step up onto an elevated surface, balance on one foot, and step down)

1-1-1 tempo
2x 25 straight arm twists(each direction)
4x 30 sec planks
2x 25 oblique crunches( each side)
5 min cool down
Stretch

Enjoy!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment