12 October, 2011

Cut The Net

Self preservation is a funny thing. I say this because it has been my experience that things categorized as self preservation often feel more like death than life. For the record this may make me a mentally ill individual but... whatever. In my mind is it the difference between playing to win and playing not to lose. The two phrases seem to be identical but are as different as night and day in their execution. If you are playing to win, you accept that there are risks that need to be taken in order for success, even when the odds are not completely in your favor. Playing to avoid losing is more about minimizing risks and playing smart and safe. Both probably have their merits but I cannot identify with the latter. It is way to limited because it hold the illusion that there is a safe play in everything. I cannot say if this is true or not, but I will tell you that there isn't anyone that I truly love and respect because they have managed to live safely enough to succeed. To me, both life and sport are dangerous in nature and full of twists and turns, many of which cannot be foreseen. I am all for preparing as well as possible but that is only effective to a point. After that point is reached, you have to decide how you are going to meet the unexpected. For me, I prefer swagger and confidence, bold moves and aggression rather than trying to just hold your ground and minimize loss. I also prefer this as a code of conduct rather than a last ditch effort. To put a point on it, you are probably better off cutting down the safety nets than looking at them as a constant back up plan, an out that will be taken at the first sight of trouble. At least that way you know that you are living to the fullest rather than hedging little bets and accepting defeat like it's no big deal. Just saying...


J

5 min warm up
Stretch
20 min interval training ( 2 min moderate jog, 2 min. full run)
2x 20 rockstar jumps
2x 10 burpeee pushups
25 meter lunges
2x 25 side swishes
2x 30 sec plank on stab. ball
2x 25 neg crunches
5 min cool down
Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment