03 November, 2011

Some Like It Hot

I found myself caught in the middle of a rainstorm with falling temperatures on a bike today. The cold spray off of the back tire was more than a bit brisk as it completely soaked my back and I was squinting through the nasty drizzle as I pushed my legs to move as fast as possible. At some point the cold water mixed with sweat and just began to freeze me to the bone. With four miles left on a ride that seemed right out of hell, I found myself laughing uncontrollably. At first I was sure I had gone mad, as was the traffic that I was weaving in and out of like a man possessed, but then it all snapped into perfect clarity. I openly hate the cold with a passion. What I love is when a fight turns nasty and today, on the back of a goddamn ten speed, the fight turned nasty. Some of us, as if by some reincarnation of spartan code, just love the battle for the battles sake. We like the odds against us, we are the underdogs and we seek nothing more than to strive for the top. This touches on the very essence of what roller derby is all about. Not to be rude but the whole sport is a counterculture, a place for the people who play because they either cannot or refuse to play by anyone else's rules. This is the nastiest fight that we can encounter, the one for our own individuality and the roller girls I know have their straight razors sharpened and are in the mood for slitting some throats. Why do we do this? It is my personal belief that it is better in the fire than it is in the pan and we like it hot. So here's to jumping in with both feet!

J

5 min warm up
Stretch
3x 8 burpee push ups
3x 8 inverted rows
3x 8 squat to overhead presses
3x 25 meters of lunges
4x 30 sec ball planks
2x 25 jackknifes
2x 25 neg. crunches
5 min cool down
Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment