09 December, 2011

Like You Mean It

I was in the middle of my workout yesterday and it hit me. Literally! Like alot of other workouts that I have done, my mind had wandered into the beat of the music and away from paying attention to the weight or fatigue my body was experiencing. I let my form waiver and in the process managed to put a dumbbell into the side of my head. aside from the slight discomfort that this gave me, it also made me realize that I was half-assing my workout. For me, the gym was always an escape from the pressures of life, that is until I began earning my livelihood in one. Now it is a constant barrage of questions and conversations and stresses. My own workouts have become harder to complete because they are incessantly interrupted. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I have a pretty sweet gig. But every now and then it is all too easy to lose focus on what I am doing. Today I was a victim of the same thing that gives me an occupation: not lifting like you mean it. My workouts should not be my hobby, they should be what earns me the sweat equity to live life at it's fullest. I prefer to call it training because there is always something we should be putting time in the gym toward, whether it be roller derby, weekend fun, or making it through a parking lot and up seven flight of stairs before we are late to the meeting that will give us a promotion(I'm just saying). To put a point on it, when you hit the gym, hit it like you mean it and don't let it hit back!

Enjoy

J

5 min warm up
Stretch
2x 20 burpee push ups
2x 20 squat to overhead press
2x 20 inverted rows
2x 25 meters of lunges
4x 45 sec planks
2x 20 single leg floor bridges(each leg)
2x 25 jackknifes
5 min cooldown
Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment